Sunday, May 3, 2009

Under the Driving Rain

Unfortunately, Feivel's Special Olympics Track and Field meet was cancelled due to the unrelenting rain (which is expected to continue more or less through at least Wednesday). Fortunately, most of the rain held off until Jeffrey, Feivel and Sachy got home from their Boy Scout campout, at which Sachy officially became a Boy Scout, having earned his Arrow of Light as a Webelos.
What didn't get cancelled was the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, which is where I spent the wet, wet day up to my ankles in mud and up to my elbows in fiber. I got great deals on some really nice things, having saved up since last year:
a sweater's worth of wool yarn; some natural dye stuff; a tiny cable needle for making the sweater out of the aforementioned yarn; a pewter shawl pin since I knit 3 large shawls in the last year; natural yak down; yarn for a couple of projects; Corriedale roving; raw Finn Landrace fiber; and half a Romeldale fleece (I split it with my fairgoing partner).
The funny thing is how much my tastes have changed. This year I totally ignored all the dyed and commercial yarns (except those black and yellow ones in the center, which I want for a project for which I have a deadline too tight to do my own spinning and dyeing), and for the most part ignored the yarns entirely. I concentrated on the natural fiber and natural colored wools.
I did make it to the Ravelry meet up too, and met various online friends all over the fairgrounds.

No comments: