Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Feather + Fan = Fun

Last week I presented my Feather Fantastic sock pattern.  This week I thought I'd give you ideas for some variations.


Here's a second version of the pattern.  This time I used the even more traditional, old-fashioned garter stitch Feather and Fan pattern for the leg; a no-yarn-overs variety for the heel to continue in pattern but add strength; and the original for the instep.  I also knit the whole sock on a size 0 needle (though I cast on using a size 2 to allow sufficient elasticity) and knit to fit my size 7WWW feet.  At the widest point, my feet measure 10.25" around.  This combination of needle sizing and circumference stitch number and pattern stitch fit me absolutely perfectly around.

The Feather and Fan knit in the round in the original pattern is:
Rounds 1, 2, and 4:  knit all stitches
Round 3:  (K2tog) 3 times, (YO, K1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times; repeat around

To work Feather and Fan in the round with a garter stitch variation, probably the most famous old traditional Shetland lace stitch (though worked flat in most traditional uses), simply work:

Rounds 1 and 2:  knit all stitches
Round 3:  (K2tog) 3 times, (YO, K1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times; repeat around
Round 4:  purl all stitches

To work the solid version I used in the heel work as follows if working in the round:
Rounds 1, 2, and 4:  knit all stitches
Round 3:  (K2tog) 3 times, (M1, K1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times; repeat around

or if working back and forth flat on a heel work:

Row 1:  knit all stitches
Rows 2 and 4:  purl all stitches
Row 3:  (K2tog) 3 times, (M1, K1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times; repeat around


There's practically infinite possibility for variation.  Work every other row in lace patterning; work every other row in garter stitch.  Alternate lacy and solid increases to match the decreases.  Play!

No comments: