Monday, October 20, 2014

Gout socks, Round two

They look very funny, like doing some strange lobster greeting with the toes, but they're extraordinarily comfortable.

I used the same technique as with the last pair, of knitting the big toe separately at a much softer gauge. This time though I started at about the point where I was 2/3 of the way down the foot (not including the toe) in using the larger (size 4US) needle for the 22 toe area stitches while keeping them contiguous with the foot, to accommodate more generalized swelling and tenderness. Hopefully I'll never need to find out how well they work during an acute gout flare, but at least now I have 2 pairs of socks ready if I need them.
And when worn in shoes, as of course they would be, they look and feel perfectly normal.
Sock pattern is "Classy Slip-Up Socks" by Betsy Lee McCarthy. Yarn is Colinette Jitterbug.

No comments: