Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Summertime and the living is read-y

Since we're past the Fourth of July and the summer season has officially started, what are your plans for the summer? Vacations, trips? Trips that involve reading? Reading plans? If you're going somewhere, do you do any reading to prepare? Do you read local literature as part of your trip? Have you thought about using the LT Local feature to help plan your book-buying?

Well, our vacation plans are the same every year: a few days at the beach in DE with my mother, who rents the beach house for her 3 daughters and 9 (almost 10) grandchildren. Since we know the area pretty well at this point, I'm fairly certain there are only 2 (decent) bookstores "in town." The idea of using LT Local hadn't occurred to me, but it's quite brilliant to check on local happenings. In the past we have gone to events at the public library at the beach, and the kids have loved what they have going on there.


As far as reading, though, while I always take a bunch of silly mysteries, true crime, and similar junk (often old stuff I've already read and re-read), but I usually don't get a lot of time to read, since child-herding is the main game of the trip. A few years ago I did buy a book of local day-trips and hikes, but in the end we've never used it; all we want to do is laze around, hang out at the beach, and eat a lot of ice cream!


I have read one science fiction novel set right in the area to which we go, but the truth is it was a terrible book and now I can't even remember the title, even though it was just a year or so ago that it was published!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! I would love to be able to get together with all my brothers and sisters once a year. There are 12 of us, though, so it never happens. A couple of them I've not seen since I was a baby.

Hmm... child-hearding... that's a new and more appropriate term for "vacation".

jlshall said...

"...all we want to do is laze around, hang out at the beach, and eat a lot of ice cream." Me, too. I can't think of a better way to describe the perfect vacation!

Anonymous said...

Ice cream, yum! Now, a local guide to ice cream shops would be useful ... (or maybe a bookstore that provided babysitting and served ice cream; forget about the bookstore/cafe concept!)

Leesy said...

I know a MD state magazine (I think it's uncreatively called, "Maryland") just came out with a guide to ice cream across the state in a recent issue. Have to find out about DE.

Kathleen Gilligan said...

It's always nice to re-read. That's the sign of a great book, you can read it over and over again :)