Friday, November 14, 2008

Icelandic adventures

Don't I just wish I meant the country, not just the wool?
Anyway, here is my Icelandic wool 2 ply yarn, 320 yards worth, 3.8 ounces, and measuring at about 5.5 twists per inch:

I don't know why the color is so off in the first pic, but the second is much more true-to-life.  The coin is a US quarter, not a nickel, though it's hard to see the edge cuts.
I'm happy with the way it turned out, though I hoped for it to be even finer.  I have 4 more ounces, and I could spin that much finer for a true lace weight, but I don't know that I have the patience or the time; I suspect I'll wind up spinning that second 1/2 of the fiber into a lopi-style bulky singles yarn like I originally planned when A Spinner's Study started the month of Icelandic wool spinning.

No comments: