Tuesday, December 23, 2008

We Didn't Have Latkes Last Night

That is because Kayla came home from school with a broken wrist and I had to take her to the urgent care center, where they splinted it.  Now this afternoon she just got it fully casted at the orthopedist.
This morning I dropped Addie off at day care, went out to my car, and it wouldn't start.  Nothing.  Jeffrey came over to the day care provider's house to help, and we got it started briefly but then nothing again.  We wound up having to call AAA, getting a jump start, and then I drove straight to the dealer (because it turns out that Saturn Ions have a unique, placed-in-the-back-trunk battery which can't be replaced by mobile crews, it's a dealer part), where they diagnosed a dead starter as well as a very marginal battery.  In truth, though, at least it happened on a quiet day when everyone was pretty much able to get where they were going and be safe and all is well except our wallets.  Plus, sitting at the dealership I was able to finish the baby sweater for our next-door neighbor's new baby (pics to come later when it's dry).
When I got in to the office finally after dealing with the car repair, it turned out our VPN was down and there was no fix in sight.  After sitting around for over an hour, I gave up and went home (at the suggestion of both of my bosses).
On the very happy side of things, I found a nice gift (set of gifts in fact) for my father's birthday, but I'm not going to show anyone or give any more details in case he reads this before next week!
So tonight we will have latkes and sufganiyot (jelly donuts).  Yum, yum, yum, happy chanukah!

No comments: