Sunday, March 7, 2010

Incredible family textiles

One of my new obsessions is German historic Torah wimpels, made by mothers and sisters of baby boys from the swaddling clothes from circumcision ceremonies into embroidered Torah wraps. I'm getting my hands on copies of a textile journal and a book on the subject, but meanwhile here are photos a cousin of my mother and her husband just sent of the one her grandmother made for her father:
These would be from about 1910; the tradition dates from the sixteenth century more or less, until the Shoah destroyed German Jewish life. There are still families today who have them commissioned to be embroidered. What's incredible to me is how modern-looking the ones dating from 1830-1910 which I have been privileged to see all seem. More coming as I learn more to share!

No comments: