Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A far better test knit experience

My last test knit ended in disaster thanks to an impossible designer.  It turns out she has a reputation for being difficult and disagreeable and for publishing patterns which still have major errors or unclear directions because she won't listen to or cooperate with her test knitters.  Live and learn.
So this time I worked with someone else and had a great time, though I had to really push myself.  The results are delightful, though, so drumroll, please....
presenting my Winterchild shawl!
However, being the Terry Pratchett addict that I am, I can't keep from thinking of it as my "Wintersmith" shawl (that's the title of one of his books, which is one of our favorites), so I think that's what it shall be known as.
The yarn is a little more than 1200 yards of 2 ply hand spun CVM (of course it's CVM, right?), the whole shawl was dyed in Cushings dyes color "silver grey" at higher-than-standard concentration since the irregular striping of the natural CVM wasn't attractive in a shawl knit in multiple directions.  The finished piece is 42" square.  And I'm happy!

4 comments:

Henya said...

I love it! It is so beautiful!

galiah said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!!! although i've gotten to see a lot of your knitted creations on your blog, i am still in awe each time i see another one... hard to believe you do this BY HAND-- awesome!!

Batty said...

Wow, it's utterly stunning!

Leesy said...

Thanks, everyone!