Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Knit Slow, Knit Fast, Ply, Ply, Ply

Reminds me of "The Karate Kid II;" "wax on, wax off..."
It took me exactly three weeks from cast on to blocking to finish my Viking Ship sweater:
Dragon Ships approach the shore
and now it's probably going to take me just as long to knit these silly hedgehog mittens.  They take FOREVER.  Each quill is knit by casting on 4 extra stitches and then immediately casting those off.  So every other row it's as if you were processing about 10 times the regular number of stitches.  Seriously, this is far, far slower than knitting cables or lace or almost any other stitch pattern I've ever worked.  Worse, it's boring.  But they are so very, very cute when they are finished.

Hedgehog mitten in progress.
It's maybe 1/2 done after 2 full days of knitting
For your amusement, I'll also relate a little Adele story.  After dinner she went downstairs to where Feivel was watching TV.  She came back up and asked, "Am I allowed to watch 'Amy'?"  I asked what show?  She repeated, "Amy."  She went and checked with Feivel and repeated, "Amy."  I sent her back downstairs with instructions to tell her brother whatever he was watching was probably not a show for her and they should find something they could both watch.  And he yelled back upstairs, "Mom, Adele isn't allowed to watch the musical, 'Annie?'"  Funnier yet, a minute later she comes back upstairs and asks, "Mommy, during commercials, am I allowed to watch, 'Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella?'"  That she got perfectly, but "Annie" she couldn't pronounce.

And finally, a big announcement came out in the spinning world today, so just in case you haven't heard, there's a new spinning magazine in town (well, there will be), Ply!

1 comment:

florapie said...

So what you are saying is you knit an entire grownup sized stranded sweater in the time it takes me to knit a pair of stranded mittens? Wow! I am in awe :)