Sunday, February 10, 2013

Neck to Toes in Knits

Well I have finished my Intertwined socks and my Derecho shawl.

I do particularly like the very neutral colors of the shawl, they remind me of the seashore.  It's a real mish-mash of yarns.  The white is some random cheap sock yarn of which I had most of a ball; the multi-color is fingering weight from Green Mountain Spinnery which I picked up at MDSW; and the brown is Euwool from Elspeth Lavold which I bought on remainder at Tuesday Morning, believe it or not.  I don't know that I'm doing another again right away, but it was quite easy and didn't take too long.  I wish I could figure out basic geometries, but I get all turned around and to make this pattern type up I would be keeping the longest of note sets, you can't imagine.  So a big thanks to the designer, Laura Aylor.


Also done are my Intertwined socks.  This was a test knit, and so I had to follow the pattern exactly to help the designer figure out how much yarn was needed in this size (large), and unfortunately the answer to that question turned out to be "more than Elise started knitting with by about 30 yards or so." So the toe of the second sock is in a different but similar color yarn; and the socks are knee socks (at least they fit well) even though I would have normally knit only regular length socks.  But they're pretty.  The yarn is 100% merino from Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm, and I also bought this at MDSW:

No comments: