Monday, October 21, 2013

A Doll Interlude

This article from the New Yorker pretty well encapsulates my feelings about the direction the company has gone.  I wish they still focused on the historical dolls and the historical conflicts they represented, not on matching dolls to girls' modern lives and allowing the girls to make their dolls into little miniature consumer versions of themselves.  Now I have a six year old reading chapter books who is ready for a doll and a sense that this doesn't mean what it meant 15 years ago. 

1 comment:

florapie said...

Our Canadian version still has stories behind some of them, but there's something about the eyes that creeps me right out:

http://www.maplelea.com/en/

And these and the American Girls are so expensive! I'm so glad my kids can play with my vintage Sashas instead.