First came learning kloster blocks. I had my head pretty well wrapped around this concept already, so it worked out pretty well.
The center is now done with kloster blocks and box stitch in this photo. Box stitch made me a lot crazier than did kloster blocks somehow. I had to be sure while working out that I got the stitch count exactly right at all times or working back on the diagonals it just wasn't going to match up. Much holding of breath ensued.
Next I did the edge patterns, still done entirely in kloster blocks and box stitch, but somehow with less to anchor the counting or at least it felt that way.